Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 00:27:21 -0400

> Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
> ======================
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> First of all I'd like to say that I do not want to compare both rigs.
There
> are a bunch of reviews
> available on the internet and I have it all.
>
> I'm the owner of the YAESU FT-1000MP with it's companion desk microphone
> MD-100 and I'm really
> happy with it and it's features !
>
> But, as the "better" is the ennemy of the "good", I'm looking for
something
> else, something different... I'm looking for a long time at that wonderful
> TENTEC ORION (565) with or without the internal tuner.
>
> So, I'm just wondering if I'm taking the TT ORION, I do not want to
"loose"
> some features that I'm using on my present FT-1000MP... I know this ORION
> beats the FT-1000MP on several things but if someone could answer these
> little questions below (short answers are ok ! Yes, no, I don't know...
etc)
> this could be very kind from you !
>
> So let's go :
>
> 1. Is there any quick memory bank channels to store frequencies during HF
> operations ? I suppose I have to use the 4 band stacking registers
instead,
> am I right ?

Yes...you have four band-stack registers for each band plus an additional
200 memory channels available. You also have five USER memories where you
can store your own personal rig configuration for future recall. (Example:
one setting for FM, one for SSB, one for CW, etc.)

> 2. Is there any channel step size function for example when listening to
> broadcast stations which have a 9KHz channel step spacing ?

First of all, there are no 'channel's' on the Orion, except those you set up
in the 200 available memories. The Main receiver covers ham bands only and
the SubRx covers 100KHz to 30MHz, continious. You can set up the frequency
step size to 1Hz, 10Hz, 100HZ, 1k, 5k, 10k and 100Khz steps. So to answer
your question directly, no, there is not a 9KC channel step spacing.

> 3. Is there any scanning function on the ORION ? No information about VFO
or
> memory scan function into the ORION manual.

No. You can not set up the Orion to scan frequencies.

> 4. During transverter operation, is there any change into the frequency
> display like 50MHz, 144MHz, etc ?

I don't know that one.

> 5. Is there any "beep" when a key is pressed on the front panel ? Is the
> volume adjustable ?

Nope. That I am aware of, there is no 'beep' function (thank goodness).

> 6. For FSK/RTTY operation - Are the shift and polarity adjustable ? The
> ORION user manual is talking
> about the tone only (high/low).

The RTTY operation can be either AFSK or FSK. Your driver or external RTTY
program selects the shifts for AFSK. The most solid RTTY operation, in my
opinion, is FSK, which the Orion does in excellent fashion.

> 7. Is there any CTCSS tone selection to access repeaters ? No info into
the
> ORION manual for FM
> repeater operation !

Uh, I won't go into that, other than to say no, there is not CTCSS function
available in this HF rig.

> 8. About the internal antenna tuner. Why is it only active on the ANT1
> connection ? I suppose it is
> "by design" ?

Don't have an internal tuner, so can't answer that.

> 9. Tentec do not provide the LDG internal autotuner for the TT565 as an
> option ! At least, at this time. Information from the UK Tentec dealer.

Don't know. The option for the Orion is to purchase the 565 or the 565AT.

> 10. Optional 310 fan. Is this fan thermostatically controled once you
> connect it to the +13.8VDC cinch connector at the back ? Does it runs all
> the time or not ?

No. The fan runs constantly for as long as you have it connected to +12vdc.
It is not a chinch connector, but rather an RCA connector on the back of the
Orion, which furnishes the +12vdc that you can use for accessories, with a
limit of something like 2 amps. But this fan is extremely quiet, that is,
your unlikely to even know it's running unless you feel the heatsink
airflow.

> That's all... I know that some questions are "stupid" (e.g. #4, #5, #10)
but
> it is just a rough comparison between the 2 rigs... these are not
technical
> differences but functional differences !
>
> I want the best, but I do not want to loose some of the functionalities of
> my FT-1000MP !
>
> Thanks to all, and please excuse my english, this is not my main language,
> so i'm not always responsible for all the mistakes ! HI 3x ! :-)
>
> Eric, ON6CV
> 30/06/2004

Eric..would suggest, if possible, you visit a friend who has an Orion to
enable you to have a first-hand look and feel of the Orion. It is a little
more complex than the 'normal' ham transceiver and therefore take more than
a day's worth of looking to really determine if it does everything you
require.

Good luck with your decision!

73,

Tom - W4BQF