Re: [TenTec] An example of changing Orion firmware to meetexpectations o

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] An example of changing Orion firmware to meetexpectations of the operator.
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:29:33 +0000
Well, while Duane has a point I would personally prefer the option of having
the frequency, mode, and bandwidth all transfer with the press of a button.
The O's second receiver is plenty good enough for listening to the DX's TX
frequency. After all, even with the band police there's usually much less QRM
there than there is on his RX frequency. And all too often "up 5" is really up
3.7, or 6.2 or some such odd split that results in a large part of the pileup
actually calling where the DX is not listening.
I much prefer to listen to his new RX frequency and be the second one to call
him there. And if he's already working a pile there I want to listen to the
pileup and to the DX without wearing my finger out switching back and forth.
That's why my Orion is setup for main in the left ear, and sub in the right.
When the DX says up 5 a press of the A>B button and a dial up 5 on the A is all
it usually takes - provided he's actually 5 up. If he's listening somewhere
else that quickly becomes obvious.
If the BW transferred as well as frequency and mode the usually would become
always.
73  Pete Allen  AC5E
Never squat with your spurs on