[TenTec] The '7800 review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] The '7800 review
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:37:52 -0400
        Al (W6LX), your comments are right on the mark.
There was an interesting discussion recently on eHam
on this very topic:

http://www.eham.net/articles/8608

Of all the manufacturers, Icom seems to provide the
minimum in actual specifications and the maximum
 marketing hype.  If this were a more important market,
I feel  they would get the attention of the Federal Trade
Commission for their lack of adherence to our Truth in
Advertising laws.

        On another but related topic, the August QST
has a very nice article on ARRL's Expanded Test
Reports by Michael Tracy KC1SX.  If more of us would
learn how to interpret these results, there would be
little need for the fluffy interpretation by reviewers in
the QST Product Reviews.  Not all of us are air-head
Joe HT types even though he seems to be the target
of most QST articles.  :-)

73, Bill W4ZV