[TenTec] Orion Diversity Reception

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Diversity Reception
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:07:27 -0500
Many of you already know this,

I've been setting up the Orion in diversity reception for the past several weeks,

Setting all the lights on under VFO A ( or B ) TX, RX and Sub RX

With a vertical to ANT 1 to the Main RX and a dipole to ANT 2 to the Sub RX, Using headphones splitting the left ear to Main Rx and right ear to Sub RX, Setting BW and PBT Track ON, Set AGC to PROG on both and set both setting alike in the AGC, The AGC has to be set up as discussed, but for both receivers.

All this sets up the diversity reception with nearly identical conditions,

It has helped me very much in weak signal copy.

Using this method, I've been able to make contacts that otherwise would have been inaudible even with the Orion's Main receiver power.

The phase shifting between the two antennas is pretty rapid like a pulsing. Copy is much improved because the audio is maintained in one ear or the other and the brain keeps the continuity so copy is much better.

Hope this spurs some people to try it.

73's
Rich
K5SF