Re: [TenTec] CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:13:59 -0400
Well most of the new radios wont do it. Just today I talked to a guy on 20m
who has both an Orion and  a new IC-7800. I asked him  to run it up to 70
wpm but it garbled the characters at that speed, much the same way the Orion
does. It was interesting that he said the IC-7800 has a fantastic front
panel, but it will not do anything his Orion  won't do. He likes it, but so
far seems to prefer his Orion.

Of the radios I've  used for QRQ, the IC-781 and the Ten Tec Corsair 2 were
the best at high speed and full QSK. The older Omni series are also
excellent. Because of the way the excellent reciever is designed on the Omni
6 and later rigs, they are limited to less than 70 wpm. I have watched, on a
scope, a Corsair 2 run the 'quick brown fox'  canned message maintain weight
while transmitting into a dummy load,  at 160 wpm!

There is a difference between a 'world record' and what we do on the air.
Records are set with structured text and you only get one shot at copying
it. What we do on the air is just hold plain old conversations, which is
probably much simpler than trying to do a world record. As I said before,
McElroy set his record for commercial reasons, what we do on the air is
strictly for fun.

Tom - W4BQF