RE: [TenTec]dreaming about a 100 w. mobile rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec]dreaming about a 100 w. mobile rig
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:59:50 -0700
Make it a full 100w.  50w won't drive many of the current linears to full
power.  In fact many need about 120w.  (I'm referring to linears for home,
not for mobile).  The mobile linear can be 400 to 500w but I'd like to see
it keep this power right up to 3:1 SWR like the transceivers do.

AND one more important point: It must have PBT (the K2 does not, which is
why I don't use my K2 on SSB).

Antennas: Well even though it was suggested we need a highly effecient
antenna, I have found for my type of mobile work where I change bands all
the time, the best solution for me is one which can be band-switched from
the driver's seat.  I currently run an old Army Jeep whip (about 11 ft.
long) on the back of my RV with an ICOM AH4 auto-matchbox directly beneath
it.  The transceiver and the coax to the matchbox always sees a good match,
regardless of frequency.  I have no idea what the effeciency is and how well
it compares to other antennas.  It works reasonably well for 20m and above.
It's "OK" on 40 but 80 is pretty useless.  When parked I extend the Jeep
whip to about 22 ft. and it really works great on 40m and above.

So I would like to see Ten-Tec offer a mobile tuner that works like the AH4
but with our dream [mobile] machine instead of the ICOM.

If we can get that, I can declare myself a "JA-free radio zone".

73
Rick