RE: [TenTec] Chasing RTTY DX with the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Chasing RTTY DX with the Orion
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:03:29 -0500
I would second Bob's opinion about running MMTTY on the sub audio.

On the RTTY reflector and the Writelog reflector there has been much
debate over using a terminal unit or a software decoder.  The latest
versions of software such as MMTTY have held their own in decoding
marginal signals in most of the test results.  I admit that every person
that has done these tests probably doesn't use scientific (or
programmatic) test techniques but in aggregate (and since some of the
tests were run by persons who win a lot of the RTTY contests) I'll
believe that the software decoders are at least as good as an average
TNC.

I use FSK through a optoisolator circuit to transmit and have tested
receiving using two instances of mmtty in writelog, one for the main
receiver and one for the sub receiver. I normally use just one instance
but I wanted to see how it would work with two bandmaps and simultaneous
decoding on different frequencies.

The best part about trying the MMTTY approach as a stand alone is the
cost.  The software is free and splitting out the left and right audio
to the sound card is easy with a cheap cable from Radio Shack.

Good luck working VY0D on RTTY!

73 de George / KF9YR