[TenTec] 100 w. mobile

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 100 w. mobile
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:30:35 +0000
<<<Make it a full 100w.  50w won't drive many of the current linears to full
power.  In fact many need about 120w.  (I'm referring to linears for home,
not for mobile).  The mobile linear can be 400 to 500w but I'd like to see
it keep this power right up to 3:1 SWR like the transceivers do.>>>

Better use RG213 in that case. Gg amps, do need 100 w. or more; grid driven ones
are a different story.

I should have mentioned before that I was assuming HF SSB mobile operation when I wrote what I did about power. For cw, psk31 and other digital modes it is a totally different ball game, however I find that these modes while moving in traffic, are to me, not only kind of eccentric but maybe dangerous.

Seems to me on 20 and up you have a chance at a useable antenna, if you are in a larger vehicle and don't mind having people stare at you. 75 and 160 -- forget it. If you are operating your Argonaut on ssb on 160 or 75 mobile do everyone a favor and bag it. QSY to 17 and stop making us miserable with your barely copyable signal.

On the other hand, about 35 years ago there was a group in the south suburbs of Chicago, called the Suburban Radio Mobiliers who were fond (putting it mildly) of 160 m. mobile operation with older tube AM rigs. There was a time when you used your car medium wave broadcast receiver with an outboard box that slid it up 400 Khz for your 160 m. rx and added the AM tx, and a bumper whip with a coil the size of a garbage can. Back when I was studying for novice license I used to listen to these guys on a little pocket broadcast rx that had been retuned. They seemed to be having a lot of fun, so maybe there is life in low band mobile after all.

Rob/K5UJ