Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion qsk

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion qsk
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:33:47 -0500
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:56:00 -0400 "W9GE" <finger@goeaston.net> writes:
"My very personal opinion, as a die hard dx hound is no, I have no need
for qsk.  As a contest op I have little need for qsk mainly because I do
not ever employ an endless cq loop."  . . . snip . . .

This is an interesting discussion because, as a DX hound myself, and a
'li'l pistol' contester, I find QSK essential.  I want to hear the DX
station when he's coming back to someone, I don't want to be stuck in
sending my callsign oblivious to who he is calling and then have to
wonder who it is he has heard.  As soon as he starts up, I stop and
listen to who he's calling.  Likewise in a contest, if I'm calling a guy
and he's coming back to someone else, I want to stop sending immediately
so (1) I can hear who he's calling, and (2) I'm not QRMing the frequency
as he's trying to work someone else.

So, from discussion so far, it appears QSK is useful or not depending on
the operator.

        73,  Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas