Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:19:04 -0500
    It looks like Steve and I have sparked a very interesting discussion
about roofing filters.

    My original premise was that in the automatic mode, both the 1.8 and 2.4
kHz filters were too narrow because I have difficulty copying SSB signals
that are less than 1.8 kHz.  I think that 1.8 is just too narrow for me and
possibly most SSB QSOs.  I first noticed this on a Drake R4-C that I bought
back in the late 70s (no it didn't have the Sherwood mods).

    I still think that a 3.5 kHz (or something like it) would have been a
better choice for SSB operation.  I suspect that TenTec offered the 1.8 and
2.4 because they were already available.

    Anyone try a wider filter in the 2.4 slot?

    Anyone else run the 1.8 and 2.4 filter listening tests like Bill did?  I
would be interested in know if you can hear any difference between the two
filters with the DSP set at 1.750 kHz or less.

            73,

            Bernard, WA4OEJ