[TenTec] [TEN TEC] Tennesse Dreaming

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Tennesse Dreaming
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 05:44:12 -0700
See this, that I sniped off the net... It's about audio amplifiers, but the physics is exactly the same at RF.. Notice that doubling your signal strength (2X) only adds 1.23X to the perceived audio strength!!!

A simple chart will help to understand the relationship of the terms we have introduced:

dB  increase - Voltage - Power - Loudness Increase Perceived
3                        1.4X       2X         1.23X
6                        2.0         4.0        1.52
10                      3.16       10          2
20                      10          100        4
40                     100    10,000      16

Looking at the chart, and starting at the left, we can see than an increase of 3dB results in a voltage increase 1.4 times the original, a doubling of power, and yields only a subjective increase in loudness only 1.23 times the original. To get a doubling of loudness, it is important to note that an increase of 10dB is necessary. And to reproduce that volume through our loudspeakers, note that we require ten times more power from the amplifier!

Denny