[TenTec] IC7800 Review: Why is this getting covered here?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] IC7800 Review: Why is this getting covered here?
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:57:20 -0700 (PDT)
>I'd like to see more discussion on this issue:

>>7. Compare and contrast 2-tube regen with Ten Tec
Orion.

The regen is more drifty and if you get the regen
turned up too high its starts squeeeeling, and sounds
A LOT like an IC-7800.  With the regen however I think
I can hear the crud off the back of beam better than I
could with my old trusty TS-930 I sold 20 years ago,
at least if memory serves me right.

Plus if I send the regen into oscillation and key the
antenna I can work the guy down the street off the
receiver but I get about a 30% chop on the first dit,
and the last dah sounds like a theremin on Valium, and
the guy down the street complains the thing clix like
an FT-1000.  Go figure, I got at least 14 bux in this
rig, plus I can use the back of the chassis to slice
bread.

Compared to an Orion?  The Orion has a rs232 port and
the regen doesn't, so Carl's software doesn't support
the regen and you can't upgrade the firmware.  But
then what do you want?  It only has 6 caps, 3 coils, 3
resistors, 2 tubes, 2 batteries, 1 transformer, 1
choke and is totally portable.  This thing is a real
HDR, meaning a lot of the parts used to make it come
from the hardware store

73....?  72...?  Maybe this is a 71

W9OY