Re: [TenTec] Where do the filters go?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Where do the filters go?
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:05:12 -0400
Please don't take this as a cheap shot Eric, it's not intended that way.

My suggestion would be to ship the 756 and 761 filters back, or sell them.
Put the 762 in your desk drawer. Open the Orion box and extract the manual.
Read the manual, front to back, seriously, go get a cup of coffee (etc) and
read the manual again. The Orion is not your 'everyday cup of tea' radio and
it takes some studying to just learn all of the capablities and options
available to you.

The filters you have purchased, with the exception of the 762 are probably
not going to do you any good, performance wise to your ears. The 2.4kc,
1.8kc and the 600Hz filters in the Orion are not selectivity filters. Their
primary purpose is to establish the bandwidth of the IF chain. THEN you have
a very excellent DSP filter to set your actual selectivity  bandwidth and
PBT (pass band tuning) to move the sides of your set filter skirts. The
roofing filters and your DSP selectivity filters are two completely
different animals, that work together but have different purposes.

Once you have studied the manual, then you can install the 762 filters,
which probably should replace the 1.0kc filter that is standard with the
Orion. You have the option of letting the roofing filters be automatically
selected, dependant upon the selectivity BW you set with the DSP, or you can
manually select them. THEN you have some 590 continuiously variable digital
filters you select with the BW control.

And that's just touching on the filter capability. The Orion is seriously
different from other radio system designs, and it will take you time to
learn it.

Good luck.

Tom - W4BQF