[TenTec] Jupiter or Omni

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter or Omni
From: Jery Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:12:59 -0700
I ran through this question of whether to get a Jupiter or a used Omni-6+. Eventually I decided to buy a new Jupiter (with internal auto-tuner). I already owned a Ten-Tec RX-350 and really liked the audio... and I am heavily into computers so it seems the right thing to do.... the forward thinking answer.

The Jupiter is a very fine transceiver and I had a lot of fun with it. Even did some contesting. However, I found myself using my old faithful Omni-C more. A lot of the desire to use the Omni-C was the it's far superior noise blanker (I have a tremendous powerline noise problem). But even on days when I didn't need the noise blanker I enjoyed the Omni-C for its ability to hear weak signal stations with greater clarity. And on CW it was champ. The Jupiter produced a noticeable level of high frequency background hiss regardless of how narrow you set the bandwidth. The Omni-C's combination 2.4, 1.8, 500 hz crystal filters and two stage CW audio filters were champs.

Now my Jupiter was by far my favorite for PSK operation where its stability and variable bandwidth/PBT were genuinely appreciated. And the Jupiter was a great rag chew rig. Fantastic listenability when conditions were good. Nevertheless, I still had a brochure for the Omni-IV+ pinned up on the wall. My plan had been to eventually add an Omni-6+ to my Omni-C and Jupiter station (I also have a Scout) but then someone advertised that they wanted to arrange a trade... their Omni 6+ for someone else's Jupiter. I thought about it for several weeks and then said yes. I don't think I got a particularly good monetary value (there weren't any optional filters in the Omni-6+ so I had to lay out another $600 (ouch) and I spent another $50 buying cosmetic parts to clean it up. Now for the truth of it. The Omni-6+ is a class act. It simply doesn't have the low-cost feel of the Jupiter. Where the Omni-6+ is concerned I love: the smooth, positive feel of the controls; the real S-meter; the spacious front panel; the large, easy to read digital display; the stability; the fantastic noise blanker; the features; ... and the performance!

I have owned many Ten-Tec's over the years and the Omni-6+ is simply great. I do not miss the Jupiter and I may never develop a driving desire to spend over $3000 for an Orion. To each their own!

73,
Jerald, KG6TT