Re: [TenTec] Follow up

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Follow up
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:13:35 -0000
Tom, W4BQF said

> Conditions and activity sure does not seem to be very good in this
contest,
> which is kinda strange as the WAE in normally quite good. As is
> said..."Maybe tomorrow!".

Tom

The WAE CW is a great contest.  I've been pretty lucky and taken the number
1 position outside Europe the last two years.  I had it in mind to aim for a
"hat trick" this year.  (I don't know if that's an expression that survives
an Atlantic crossing but it means three in a row!)  Anyway, that was the
plan but you know what they say about the best laid plans......

I started out ok but soon found I could hear hardly any European stations
yet you yanks were coming through like a ton of bricks.  Now if this had
been ARRL DX weekend I would really have been smiling, but it wasn't.

The problems seem to have been caused by a massive CME a few days before the
contest and was then compounded by no less than 12 M-class flares during the
weekend.  The largest of which was only a gnats hair off being X-class.

I suffer powerline noise here but if signals are fair I tolerate it.  This
weekend Eu signals were noise floor level mostly and buried under my
powerline noise.

They say nobody loves a quitter but I don't care.  I threw the towel in late
Saturday afternoon and went off to do something useful.  There's always next
year!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F