[TenTec] DSP and such

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP and such
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:31:26 -0400
I think most of us recognize W8JI for his practical and technical experience.
In World Radio, here is what W8JI has to say:

"Many of us think modern radios with advanced multiple DSP systems and LCD
displays have moved far beyond vacuum tube performance, but in truth they
haven't moved as far as we are being led to believe. Modern amateur receivers
using DSP systems are very limited in dynamic range.. Despite marketing hype,
they really have about the same dynamic performance as the poor 2nd mixer in
the R4C. When all of the selectivity is in DSP, at the very best you can expect
performance within the roofing filter bandwidth to be mediocre"

(Bold print is mine)

In this article, titled 'Modern gear', W8JI is warning us about 'marketing
hype' with pretty specific reference to  the latest product review on the +$10k
radio from Japan. It's an excellent article, trying to urge us hams to insist
on useful and meaningful test reports and specifications from manufactures.
Most interesting article to read. He also has a very positive paragraph about
the Ten Tec Orion.

I, for one, agree with his above statement about DSP systems.

Tom - W4BQF