[TenTec] Orion - second week impressions and comparisons

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion - second week impressions and comparisons
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:24:51 EDT
Hi Dave,

I operate 100% SSB and listen more than I transmit. I've had my Orion since
May of this year and really do like the receivers.

I use the stereo head phone jack to supply audio to a set of Altec Lansing
Stereo speakers w/ a 60hz - 600hz Sub Woofer. The main VFO is Left and the Sub
VFO is Right. If you want to hear something pretty wild, plug your stereo head
phones in and listen that way.

You will find out that if both VFO's are on the same frequency that the
settings [prog] AGC will be different. In other words, lets say that your on
40m,
set the Main VFO AGC threshold to a value that causes the Hiss sound to go
away. Repeat the same procedure for the Sub VFO. You will notice that the
values
are different. The AGC settings on the Sub receiver will always be higher than
those on the Main VFO. Dont be afraid to use 6db or 12db of ATTN on the Sub
receiver. In most cases you wont need any ATTN on the Main receiver.

The first thing I do every morning when I crank up the Orion is to set up
each receiver for the band that I'm on. If I switch bands, I go through the
same
procedure.

I'm mess'in around with filters right now. I ordered an Inrad # 754 / 2.8
which will go in the Orion 2.4 slot, the 2.4 will be moved to the 1.8 slot and
the 1.8 will be moved to the 1.0 slot, the 1.0 will be moved to the 500 slot
and
finally the 500 will be put  up for safe keeping.

Since you have a new Orion, the wiring for the mic connector is NOT as shown
in the manual (page 9). The wiring is as follows:

Pin #1 = Audio hot lead ( + ) Send
Pin #2 = Audio Negative ( - ) Return
MIc Shell = Audio cable shield (Ground)
Pin # 3 = PTT
Mic Shell = PTT ground
Pin # 4 = Unchanged

Call Paul Clinton at Ten-Tec if you have any questions.

Where the Orion receivers really shine is on 160m, 75/80m and 40m.

Have Fun. If you have any questions about the Orion's operation, please
contact me "off list". I had plenty of people help me, so I'm just pass'in it
along.

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/antennas.html
http://www.cebik.com/n0khq.html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/