Re: TT RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec amps and ALC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: TT RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec amps and ALC
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:51:00 -0400
Al,

I doubt seriously that a single 20 microsecond RF pusle is going to melt the
grids of present day tubes. However each of those short pulses, according to
Eimac, will slowly destroy the grid structure. It may take years, it may
take months, but it happens. Most of the time, when a tube goes bad, you
don't know  why, and the manufacturer normally charges nice bucks to analyze
dead tubes,  so we are normally not going to have it done. In each case that
VE3DC had a failure, the tube failed because of the grid failure. So did the
grid fail due to thousands of 20 microsecond pulses, or did it just fail?
Who knows? The last time I discussed this with him, and after he modified
the internal ALC in his IC-781's, he had six years on his new set of
3cx800a7's. His scope showed no more RF spikes from the xcvr.

The culprit, in most cases, is the transceivers internal leveling circuit,
or what we call ALC, but not the plug coming into the back of the xcvr.

Tom - W4BQF