Re: [TenTec] TenTec Mobile// Delta II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Mobile// Delta II
From: "M. P. Haynes" <k4beh@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:34:36 -0400
Hi Steve,

I ran the Delta II mobile for about five years in the early 90's in a
variety of Fords, 2 Taurus's and an Aerostar van.  It is an outstanding
performer mobile.  The only shortcomings are 1, its size and 2, the dim
display.  In my case the size was no problem since the Tauruses did not
have the center console so that the mobile mount could sit on the floor
in the middle and same with the van.  The mount put the knobs at a very
convenient position for use with my right hand.  I overcame the poor
backlighting problem by using a lot of memory locations for favorite
frequencies.  I could count the number of sound changes as I would scroll
through memories to tell which one I was on and also by listening to who
was on each frequency and I would hear my friends.  I had a straight key
on a weighted base that I would sit on the seat beside me in the Taurus
and I used big rubber bands to attach it (Backwards) to the armrest in
the van.  The QSK is outstanding.  The Jones filter is a real pleasure to
use and the noise blanker is the best I have ever seen, even better than
the Scout which is great, too.  The audio compression in SSB makes the
audio stand out nicely without distortion.  The display improved somewhat
when I put a new electroluminescent panel in it.  It was very nice at
night with its warm green glow.  I hated to give it up when my next
company car came with the center console and I was forced to go smaller
using the Scout which also gave a very good accounting of itself for the
same reasons, good noise blanker, Jones filter and great QSK on CW.  The
reports from the Scout were always about as good as I got with the Delta
II.  Plus the display was great, easily read in daylight or dark.   I
used a screwdriver antenna in most of the installations after starting
out with Hustler coils.  The screwdriver is definitely the way to go for
ease of QSYing.  I put a RS Field Strength meter on the dash and could
tune up on any band or frequency without taking my eyes off the road to
look at the rig or tune a tuner etc.  I don't think you can go wrong with
the DII mobile and Peg may have a mobile mount to sell you since she has
decided to sell hers to another ham and go with..........Kenwood!

73,

Pat Haynes-K4BEH