Re: [TenTec] Corsair VFO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair VFO
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:22:40 -0700
My suggestion: take the PTO out (not a hard job, just requires a little care and patience) and put it on a clean sheet of paper on a clean desk. Disassemble it, observe its workings (you'll need to remember details later!), make notes regarding the small parts and just get the feel for how it works.

Thoroughly clean all the components (I use a "self cleaning" bearing lube from a bike shop, cleans out all the bad stuff) and dry them off really carefully. Re-lube (again, bearing lube from a bike shop will do quite well) and reassemble right there on your desk. Put on the knob and get the "feel" - see if you now like it. If not, take parts off and reassemble till you get the "feel" you want. The number of washers in the rear are critical to the "tightness" of the operation, and there are other parts that can be moved a bit here and there to alleviate "lumps" in tuning (the little washers may be dirty or need some lube, the pins may be stuck in too much to one side and binding).

I've found that by just playing with the PTO once, noting my sense of the whole mechanism, now I can pretty much rebuilt a PTO to feel the way I like reliably well, usually with no parts replacement (though I keep a spare rebuild kit around, buy one from Ten Tec just to have nearby!)

Clark
WA3JPG