[TenTec] Orion bugs and firmware upgrade wish

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion bugs and firmware upgrade wish
From: WB3LGC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:59:43 EDT
It's now been a few weeks since I got my Orion with Version 1.371 firmware.
I have enjoyed using the radio.  I found a few bugs in the operation that I
have not seen on the reflector.

1.      Recording to âsend 1 (2,3)â with NR on.  After completing the
message, a tone is present.  Turn NR off and it goes away until you turn NR
back on.
 Power off to fix.  Record the message with NR off, all is OK.  Note: this
was also the first time I tried to use âsendâ to record.  Repeatable, but
not
100%.
2.      If you change the roofing filter setting (2.4Khz to 1.0Khz for
example), the graphic in the LCD display does not change to the correct display
until the BW knob is diddled.
3.      Sometimes when I tune (auto tuner), the audio does not return.  If I
PTT, it returns. NBD.

Two wishes:

1.      Auto âstepâ control.  Replace the largest step size with âautoâ
that would change the step size the faster the knob was turned.  A slow/fast
selection could be added to the auto selection.  I have used a function like
this
for a track ball control for scrolling over a graphic image where the number
of encoder counts per software loop was multiplied by a factor and squared.
Worked well.
2.      A menu selection to allow firmware to disable the transmitter if the
tuner is not tuned, âautoâ?  (I would love to see a K2 type function of
re-setting the tuner when band changes are made, but the K2 reads the settings
from
itâs tuner.  I guess the Orion just commands the tuner to tuneâ).

73, Steve