[TenTec] A good day!

Subject: [TenTec] A good day!
From: Gary L Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:22:57 -0700
Well, the Orion arrived today! Spent part of the afternoon just beginning to learn. I'd read the manual several times and thought I understood---oh, I don't think so!! I can see why some have said that it will take at least 30 days to learn it. Makes me feel like a newbie all over again--fumbling around wondering why I'm not getting audio on the sub-receiver, etc., etc.

Some of my prior concerns were not borne out. Tried a set of Koss Porta Pro headphones (use with my iPod) which are advertised at 60 ohms impedance and no problems with audio hiss from the receiver. Now I'll rewire my Kenwood HS-5's to see how they do. Can always put small resistors in the stereo plug though if they are too sensitive.

Second event to celebrate was assignment of new call sign today. I gave up WB7FCQ (my original callsign--well original was WN7FCQ when a novice) for W7TEA. That should help with repetitive motion injury! Was too lazy to apply when 1x2's first became available under the vanity callsign program. Took abt 2 weeks from application on-line and paying by credit card.

tnx again for everyone's patience in answering a T-T beginner's questions. I'm sure I will have more as I play with this beast--it is big!
It's also nice to buy American again. My first rig was a HW-101 nearly 30 years ago--then it has been mostly Kenwood except for a glorious C-Line.

Gary, W7TEA