Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:41:32 -0000
No..........

Dynamic range can only be measured with a spacing attached to it.
Traditionally it was 20 kHz but is frequently now measured at 5 kHz.  That's
why roofing filters can improve dynamic range.  Inside the filter b/w you
are always at the mercy of the raw dynamic range of the other circuitry
whether that be digital or analogue.

In short.... John is absolutely right.  You will improve significantly the
dynamic range of the TS870 at both 20 kHz and 5 kHz spacing by shoe-horning
a pair of Inrad 2.7 kHz filters into the 2nd and 3rd IF of the 870.  I have
done it and so have many others.  Of course dynamic range within the 2.7 kHz
b/w of the Inrads stays pretty much as it was before.

So there you go........

Bob, 5B4AGN