Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:15:37 -0400
Thanks Bernard but after 3 weeks of testing the Orion, I sent it back for a
refund.
BTW: It took me several phone calls and emails to get my refund.
I did not find the Orion a bit complicated and have no idea why everyone
thinks it takes a month to "learn it".
As for posting reviews....Eham puts no requirements on posting a review. It
is not intended to be a "professional" site for engineers to post reviews.
It is intended to be a place for users to express their opinions and
experiences with their equipment. Several months ago I purchased a
SoundsSweet speaker and posted a bad review. I received several flames and
hate mail from happy owners. My review was the only one at the time that
qualified as half-way objective. I used an audio generator, scope and VOM to
prove my points. Everyone else made highly subjective comments like "Wow
this speaker is great, I can hear it all over the house" or "Sounds awesome,
signals seem to pop out of nowhere".
With the Orion I used a simple signal generator from Elecraft to run some
test against the PRO2. I fed the weak signal into the antenna inputs of both
rigs at the same time and mixed the signal with QRN on 160 meters. All I can
say is, the PRO 2 was able to hear the signal better. Some will say this is
non-professional and I will admit it is amateurish but at least I have SOME
basis for my comments.
Considering that Eric spent $5,000 USD for the Orion and now has no hope of
a refund, I think his review was overly generous!
Steve N4LQ