Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:31:20 -0500
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:15:01 -0500, Grant Youngman wrote:

>Be curious to know how one measures the frequency response of a
>speaker with a scope and VOM?

As member of the Standards Committee of the Audio Engineering Society, I
would be equally curious.

Measuring the response of a loudspeaker requires considerably more
instrumentation than a scope and a VOM. In fact, I'm not sure how one would
make good use of a scope and a VOM. At a minimum, one needs a
sweepable audio generator, lab-quality microphone and preamplifier, time-
windowed audio measurement system, and/or a reasonably well-controlled
acoustic environment . And, of course, one must consider the directivity of the
loudspeaker -- most loudspeakers exhibit considerable directivity, and the
response on axis is very different from the off-axis response.

Jim Brown  K9YC