Re: TT [TenTec] Orion is going back to dealer... sorry !

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: TT [TenTec] Orion is going back to dealer... sorry !
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:04:39 -0500
> Not only is that absolutely amazing Van, that means that all of the
> firmware upgrades since June 2003, specifically to fix a midrid of
> bugs and problems, have to have been a figment of a lot of hams
> imagination. Have you turned yours on yet?

Not very often .. that is to say, it hasn't been turned off very often ..
except to bounce the OS for an upgrade, or to bounce to the OS to fix a
rare (at least in the recent past) hang of some sort.

All of us who've had the radio a long time (March 2003), have lived with
bugs, and fixes that fixed them, and some that didn't, and some fixes that
caused even more bugs.  Some of us, me included, have chosen not to
get angry about it,  just let it play out and enjoy the radio.  Some of us are
bent out of shape and still letting it play out.  And some can't do either of
those.  Our collective mileage varies on that one.

In defense of anyone who says they haven't had any problems,  it's been
a very long time since I've had a glitch of any kind, too.  It's clear that
different people are getting different results .. most likely because each of
us operates the radio differently, uses different feature sets, does or
doesn't use the sweep, does or doesn't mash just the right sequence of
buttons, operates different modes, and so on.

There's certainly no fault in finding fault with real problems.  There's
equally no fault if you don't find a problem ...

None of that, however, can excuse control software and related issues
that simply shouldn't be there almost 18 months after first ship.  Ten-Tec
absolutely has to get this right if they are going to maintain their
reputation in the high-end marketplace .. with maybe a lot more at stake
than just reputation .. no matter what hardware of software reengineering
or resources it takes to do it.  So there should certainly be plenty of
motivation.

Grant/NQ5T