[TenTec] new owner Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] new owner Orion
From: "skip" <k3cc@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:13:52 -0400
When I unpacked my Orion the Main tuning knobs fell off.  I guess that's why
they give you the hex keys.

The main display was unreadable, a bright almost white light.  It took some
reading of a very poor manual to figure out how to correct the problem with
the cheap LCD screen.

This is piss poor American quality control.

The manual is a joke.  It looks like something a kid would do in his
basement.  Again poor proof reading, and very little info for a novice user.

These are statements of facts people.

As for the performance of the radio I can not comment as yet.

I will use my Yaesu Ft 1000 MP/MkV and a Icom 756 ProII to do an A, B and C
comparison.

My thoughts about the radio are, without Carl's N4YP software I would send
it back, the display is  real cheap for the touted radio quality.  I don't
like a multi function control which does everything from a menu.  I do admit
the box looks better in person than in the pictures.  And what's with an ALC
light ?????   Why did Ten Tec use a mini stereo phone plug for the paddle
input ????  Everyone else uses a standard 1/4" plug.
Hey, a $3,500 radio and NO mic ??????

I have had my Orion for about 2 weeks and it works OK accept for the sweep
display issues and unstable display.

These are my first impressions, lets hope the radio performance can redeem
itself.

de Skip     K3CC