Re: [TenTec] Orion bug video AND important information from ON6CV

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion bug video AND important information from ON6CV
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:19:28 -0400
Eric SENSI wrote:

I started making some contacts (finally !) and from time to time, I pushed
the "send 1" or "send 2" regarding the situation and the radio NEVER fails !

I'm not surprised a bit at your success - I work for a company that develops software and I have to experience situations like the one you described. Many times you can follow the same steps and nothing seems to change but by tweaking the order or the path just a little bit things magically start working. My guess is that when you performed a few master resets to erase as much "residue" of the previous version, you cleaned out a small chunk of memory somewhere that needed to be completely erased. This could be an indicator that the software itself is fine but the firmware flashing program that is supposed to erase the memory before writing the new firmware could be flawed.

Software manufacturing is done today on a scale that is prohibitive of recursion testing that was possible 30 years ago. NASA is a good example of skipping tests in the interests of getting things out the door on time. Years ago, we put men on the moon using slide rules and pencils - today we have computers which can process billions of equations saving millions of man-hours but because those man-hours were saved (and thereby an engineer did not monitor each calculation made) things slip through the cracks - the level of qualitative testing is essentially eliminated because we rely on the computer instead of inspecting everything by hand. And remember, what you save in labor you make up for with time, and what you save in time you make up for with labor.

TenTec obviously is working very hard to develop the firmware for the Orion - perhaps the level of desire to rush the previous version out the door exceeded the level of desire to give it a good rigorous testing. Perhaps the amount of grumbling over the existing version will give them the right signals to delay the release until it really is solid.

I don't know if this explanation will help those of you who have been frustrated with your Orion but hopefully it will give you some idea what is going on in the world of software development today. It's very difficult and is a relatively thankless job.

And regarding eHam, I believe it is irresponsible on their part to prevent going back and editing your review or at least to change the rating. I don't think they're doing anyone a favor by providing a "ranking" system - the guy who posted a review right after ON6CV had the same complaints but still gave the radio a 5/5. Makes no sense. Reader beware.

73 Jason N1SU