Re: [TenTec] jupiter tx / ft920 rx

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] jupiter tx / ft920 rx
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:11:03 -0400
> Two questions: 1. Would I not have to put a spdt switch in that line to
keep
> from feeding the sig to both receivers at the same time?

As I understand, you want to be able to transmit with the Jupiter and
receive with both the Jupiter and the 920.  In that situation, I don't think
you need an additional switch.

Connect the antenna to the Jupiter SO239 input. After making the mod, onnect
a cable from the SPARE jack on the back of the Jupiter to the Rx antenna
input on the 920.  Just make sure that you never put an Tx RF on that
signal, but I'm assuming that the Rx antenna input of the 920 won't let you
do that anyways.  Under this scenario, you wouldn't have any antenna on the
main antenna connection of the 920 and you wouldn't be able to transmit with
the 920.

Am I understanding your situation?

> 2.) when you refer
> to the 'gotcha', do you mean if the jupe and the 920 are on different
bands?
> If so, that wouldn't be a problem for me as I rarely have had occasion to
do
> crossband work.

Yes, that is the problem since the Jupiter's LPF is inline.

One other thing you may want to do is to mute the 920 audio when
transmitting on the Jupiter. While the Rx antenna is greatly attenuated from
the Jupiter's RF output, there will probably still be significant signal
getting to the 920. Does the 920 have a mute input?

Mark