[TenTec] Orion Filters in AM mode

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Filters in AM mode
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:30:15 -0400
I was tuning around the SWBC bands and noticed that the Orion rx filters
don't seem to have sharp skirts in AM. The signal I was listening to was
being interfered with by a carrier 5 kHz away even with the filter set at
3500 Hz.

I brought up the audio spectrum on my computer (using MixW). In SSB mode,
the skirts of the filter are very sharp (I have my filter set to 199 taps).
When I switch to AM, they become very broad. Is this something in the Orion
or something to do with AM reception?  It also seemed that varying the
number of filter taps had no effect on the AM filter, although the effect
was clearly visible in SSB.

73,
Mark