Re: [TenTec] open source

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] open source
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:37:21 -0500
The way I understand it, if someone reverse engineers the code, and then
uses *any* of the algorithms or code sequences anywhere in his "new"
code, he has violated copyright - assuming TT copyrights their code.   On
the other hand, if the algorithms are protected by patent, then there is
another problem the unfortunate reverse engineer.  Now, if nothing is
copyrighted or patented, then it's the "trade secret" route that is being
taken, and that is a double-edged sword that could bite TT.  Probably the
best question to ask is, what is ethical?  Is it ethical to reverse
engineer someone else's considerable investment in time/effort for your
own pecuniary interest?  I would suggest it is not.  If you want to try
your hand at rig control microcode, be a man and start from scratch!

        73,  Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas