[TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:50:20 +0200
Dear OM's,

Some of you knows that I have a lot (the word is weak !) of troubles with my
Orion. See my previous posts and reviews on eham.net for reference.

I received this evening a new firmware update directly from Tentec after
some e-mails sent to the "ditsnbits" address.

The version is V1.372b16 Sep, 23 2004 - 15:12:13

Gary from Tentec didn't think this new beta version will helps ! He was
right... This update brings new problems again with the DV memory and screen
layout, also some new strange noises coming from the speaker (some strong
"pops" during operation - the first time it happened, I thought the speaker
was blown and I looked on the ceiling to see if it was not there !)

Gary (and I) think the problems are not software related but simply hardware
(a defective PCB or RAM or DSP chip...) ! I'm telling this to my dealer for
a month now.

Tonite, the Orion will be on his box for fix/repair... I think the dealer
will sell this one as a demo unit afterall as I don't want to see it in my
shack.

Time is coming for me to buy a Japanese radio that is working each and
everyday.

You say : hey, Eric, what about the numbers ? Well, I'll respond that I
bought a Tentec Orion for it's performances and numbers but the radio is not
working. In one month this radio brings some high level of frustration to
me. One evening I even said : "Okay, it's time to stop the hamradio hobby
!".

What is poor I would say is that now, it is impossible to receive a new
working Orion to replace the defective one.

I'm dreaming of a Tentec 756 PROIII MkV ! :-) Much seriously, I just wanted
a radio that works. No way, man, not this time ! Please try again later !
Game is over.

Best regards to you all,

Eric, ON6CV.

PS : Don't write to me, I will not send the new beta firmware to anyone. See
Tentec for this.