[TenTec] Re: Model 540 Microphone ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Model 540 Microphone ?
From: "Scott / W4PJ" <w4pj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:41:36 -0400
I wired up an old Cobra hand mic to a 1/4" Stereo plug and it worked fine on
my Model 540's.  D-104 G stand worked fine.  Currently have an amplified
Shure 526T wired up.  Gotta watch the amplification level in the Shure to
keep from overdriving on peaks.

>From the manual:
The shield and/or ground lead are connected to the barrel, the PTT switch to
the tip and the microphone signal lead to the band.  Failure to shield both
microphone and PTT leads may result in RF getting into audio circuits.

Since the crystal lattice filter system is common to both reciever and
transmitter circuits, any audio signal picked up by the microphone while
recieving may be applied to the system and appear in the audio circuit.
Acoustic feedback may occur and cause a sustained howl.  To completely
eliminate any microphone pickup, it is recommended that a SPDT switch be
used for the PTT function in the microphone, and that the microphone signal
lead be shorted to ground during recieve.

PEACE
Scott / W4PJ