Re: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:15:03 -0500
I know, bad form to reply to your own posting, but more data:

- problem only occurs when Speech Processor is engaged
- fail symptom (pulsing xmit audio) is not 100% repeatable, and can be
stopped by punching Send 1 to stop DVK
- problem seems to be in the Speech processor, not the DVK - turning off
the SP results in "normal" transmit audio
- turning the SP off during xmit when when xmit audio is bad corrects it
- at end of transmit, jsut after RX is switched back to, alternate sweep
buckets pulse upwards ~50% scale
- DVK audio recorded with SP on plays back sounding same with SP off.
Turning SP on during XMIT with results in "SP on steroids" (over
modulation)

I'll see what else I can isolate about the symptoms now that I know how
to recreate it.  When it first occurred, I was too busy pushing the wrong
buttons to stop it, and just powered off since I was right on someone
else's CQ frequency.  That's why in the last note I indicated it could
not be stopped unless powered off.  That is not true - disabling SP will
return audio to OK level, or hitting Send 1 will stop the xmit.

Hope this is useful to someone.

        73,  Duane   (now, back to the TQP where the Orions RX is doing a
wonderful job in the din on 40m!)