[TenTec] RE: New firmware for Orion...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: New firmware for Orion...
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:16:10 EDT
Tommy & others You missed my point...

What I meant by saying "YOUR" Orion to Eric, is that people have a bad
experience, so they tend to bash the whole line, manufacturer etc, rather than
being
self responsible and clearly stating that " I had  ....  problems with the
particular radio that I had etc. etc.  Bashing the Orion line as a whole is
false, Otherwise, each and every Orion that came off the line would have been
junk
which is clearly not the case. There are people reporting absoultely NO
problems with Orion, who are more than just "Appliance Operators" and know
their
stuff. Also in Eric's thread, he mentioned that He AND Gary at Ten Tec both
suspected a Hardware problem. Since Ten Tec doesn't make their own IC chips,
but
buys them from manufacturers, If I were at Ten Tec, I would be looking at the
QC of their chip orders. If it indeed turns out to be a hardware problem, far
too many defective parts are slipping thru the QC checks. A similar problem
happend with the IC746pro with many new rigs having PA failures.

I also know people who think the IC756 proII & IC-7800 are flawless, but I've
read of Pro II's actually catching fire in the first 30 minutes of operating
right out of the box. And even though they Give the 7800 a solid 5/5 on E-ham
reviews, if you actually read the reviews, several have reported problems in
their review, but didn't knock off any points. So just because it's a JA rig,
it doesn't mean it's going to work "Each and everyday" as Eric put it. They
have their share of problems too.

73, Todd - KT0DD - kd7efq@aol.com
"The race is over...THE RATS WON !"