[TenTec] Open Source - an alternative proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Open Source - an alternative proposal
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:27:59 -0400
I think we have to live with the fact that TenTec is not going to make it
easy for third parties to create new firmware for the Pegasus (and Jupiter).
I'd like to float an alternative proposal to the group.

The mods available to support DRM reception merely bring the 12 kHz IF
signal out of the receiver. This signal is fed to a computer soundcard for
processing by the DRM DSP software running on the computer. There is no
reason that alternative software couldn't be developed to provide some of
the receive features that people have been wanting. I worked with the
FlexRadio software for a while and there's no reason that similar techniques
couldn't be used for the Pegasus .

Essentially, we would be replacing the DSP receiving inside with DSP code on
the PC.While this wouldn't address transmit, most of the things people have
wanted have to do with receive anyways. There are open source DSP routines
available, so we wouldn't have to design and code the real low level stuff
(FFT and the like).

If someone is interested in working on this, let me know.

73,
Mark