Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the TT Omni VI+
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:22:27 -0400
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 8:10 PM

Hi Rob, if your happy with your kenwood and yaesu rigs thats great, just try and repair that kenwood or ask kenwood a question in regards to something that may seem a little bit oa a nusiance or whatever too you. Oh they'll respond alright with an e-mail their answer is genaerally do a reset. I have had both rigs you mentioned and they can't hold a candle to the omni 6 . My suggestion to you is to get on their reflectors where your remarks might be appreciated, even better buy an omni 6 and see what your missing. Oh by the way if you want great audio go on AM .
73 john ku3g

"Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com> wrote:
Scott, W4PA, seems to have taken issue with some of my advice to a ham
asking about the wisdom of an Omni VI purchase. Now Scott you are a nice
fellow, but you are also in the business of selling Ten Tec rigs. I think
my comments were reasonable and fair and I stand by them. You may focus on
measurement numbers for receiver performance tests which I notice folks on
this list seem to do often, but I submit these do not tell the whole tale
when it comes to overall transceiver performance, build quality, reliability
and modern convenience. For example, as an SSB operator, the questioning
ham may find a transmit monitor, so he can hear himself through his
headphones when transmitting, convenient. This is something lacking with
the Omni VI. Let us suppose the receiver specs on the Omni VI indicate
performance that is superior to the Kenwood and Yaesu rigs I mentioned. I
doubt if the difference is noticable, or noticable most of the time. Since
I'm interested in merely helping someone and am no more than a ham with a
computer and an opinion, I do not desire to become involved in some sort of
protracted nit picking debate. I will simply respond to the comments to
date: It is true that I stated at some point in the past that some
problems with Ten Tec rigs (the Omni VI may have been the topic however I
have also heard of RF in audio difficulties with the Jupiter) were probably
due to installation errors. I doubt if that has changed. On the other
hand, I do think the current JA gear seems to be more robust at dealing with
RF coming into the rig from unwanted sources. For example, I can pop off
the cover on my TS870 and find ferrite chokes on the dc supply leads inside
the rig. I don't recall seeing anything like that on my Omni VI and Corsair
II. If I am mistaken please correct me. Perhaps things have changed.
Until then I make no apologies for having an evolving opinion.

While the hamfest price reductions are nice, they do this fellow whom I
assume was not there, little good. What are the current factory direct used
prices?
Re the Google audio search: A google search of some topic hardly proves
anything. I can search for NASA Moon Landing Hoax and get a lot of hits.
Does that make it true?

As for the INRAD audio mod, if you already have an Omni VI and you don't
want to buy a new rig, the mod is better than nothing in the sense that it
offers some improvment. However if someone is starting from scratch there
are options out there using DSP beyond noise reduction that offer several
different frequency response ranges that are not possible with the Omni VI
available IF xtal filters. However, since this is not what the original
questioner was interested in, and it is he whom I wish to stay focused on, I
will not belabor this point.

73,
Rob/K5UJ

p.s. note to anyone attempting the INRAD mod: I advise removing the stock
carrier null pots (I think they are R7 and R8) and installing 20 turn trim
pots (Mouser is one source, about $2.50 ea.) as they make finding the null
much easier when you have the carrier right up against the 2.8 KHz filter
skirt, and they hold the null longer.