Re: [TenTec] amp/tuner advice needed...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] amp/tuner advice needed...
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 08:40:04 -0400
I couldn't agree more. I bought two of these used and although I've had some minor problems, I am quite impressed with their service and performance. Two major positive features: 1) the separate power supply and RF deck and 2) all wires are tagged and numbered and keyed to numbers in the schematic. The RF deck only weighs 14 lbs., which really makes it easy to put it on the bench for maintenance. There's also plenty of space inside which also adds to ease of maintenance. I've seen these for sale recently for as little as $1400.

73, Joe

Tommy wrote:

Gary,

If it's within the budget, one of the best amps you can get, especially for
QSK, is the original Titan 425. It is a 1.5KW amp, but of course you run it
at any power you choose, plus the extra watts are there if you need it. It
is a solid, trouble free,  workhorse kind of amp. I bought one in '92 and
the only real problem I had was occasionally losing a tube. I did have to
change the vacuum relay often, but then I abused the heck out of them also.
Many thousands of hours of really troublefree operation with the Titan 425.
(used prices are around $1500)

Tom - W4BQF