Re: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra Class Licensing
From: "Larry Robison" <robison@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:37:31 -0400
Hi Duane,

I agree that both skills are part of the definition of Amateur Radio. I think the FCC does also. At the beginning of Part 97 the FCC states

"(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through
rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and
technical phases of the art."

I think this is the crux of the problem with the "dumbing down" of the service. The amateur license is not just permission to communicate, although that is a part of it. Amateur transmitting equipment does not participate in the rigorous "type acceptance" program that the FCC places on the equipment for other services (CB..FRS) because there is an expectation that the amateur is somewhat technically capable. It is inconceivable that an amateur should reach the ranks of the highest, most difficult license available to the amateur, and not know the basics.

Ahh but what the heck, it has given rise to new industry. Now you can buy microphones with connectors already installed and antennas already cut and ready to hang and coax jumpers custom made to your exact length requirement! Guys who used to read radio publications under the covers with a flashlight after bedtime, like me and Scott, and had to put on own connectors and coax fittings are rare anymore! My crystal ball is telling me that there will come a day when the amateur license will come in the box, with the radio. Sign it, drop in a check, and send it in! We're not that far away now!

--Larry W8ER

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duane A Calvin" <ac5aa@juno.com>