[TenTec] Paragon II vs Argo revisited

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon II vs Argo revisited
From: designer <designer@quickdata.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:30:50 -0700
While continuing to play with this I've noticed something that might invalidate my previous observations. When I click on a spot frequency the Paragon goes right there and I can hear the cw station - with a 1.8KHz filter, but not with the .5KHz filter. When I put the Argo on the same frequency I couldn't hear the station - even with the BW also set to 1800.

But I could hear the station if I tune up about 800Hz (40 meters). When I tuned the Paragon II up, I could also hear the signal and it did fit in the .500Hz filter window.

Coincidentally my CW Tone is set for 800Hz.

Both rigs are spot on on WWV freq. so I'm wondering about those reported spot frequencies. Are they just a suggestion of where the station might be, or do I have to make an "off-set" calculation depending upon my CW Tone freq., or was it a just a coincidence?

Anyone with experience in that phenomenon?

- So it could be that the Argo could have heard that XE beacon had I tuned around a LOT rather than just widen the bandwidth (same with the K2).

73,
Paul