[TenTec] Delta 580 questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Delta 580 questions
From: Jason Reber <jreber@sisna.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:16:07 -0600
Greetings;
I just picked up a Delta 580, and I really like the size and layout of this rig. Hoewever, this unit has a few issues that I'm hoping someone may have encountered before.
1st, there is a astable tone being generated whenever the VFO is set to xx.046 MHz (USB or CW), or xx.050 LSB. The tone is about 1 KHz, and alternates on and off at about 2Hz. Again, regardless of band, when the VFO is set to 46 Khz (USB or CW), or 50Khz (LSB), this on/off tone appears. It only persists for about 1 KHz either side of 46 Khz. Something must be resonating on the back end, and coupling the tone into the audio, but I'm perplexed as to why it's intermittent- on/off at about 2Hz, and with a 50% duty cycle.

2nd, does anyone find that they need to switch the attenuator (rear panel switch) in to get decent RX performance? If I don't switch it in, I get extreme, brassy noise and poor AGC performance. I may just need to check out the AGC circuit and look for problems, but I'd appreciate any comments. The S-meter performance seems sluggish, and the audio seems like its getting cut off below 500 Hz- very brassy, harsh audio. None of the other TT rigs I've had (Omni D, Scout, Jupiter) have ever sounded like this.

Finally, if anyones had a Delta with the crystal filter, would you advise getting one (Inrad available, I think)?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions,
Jason  AC7JW