[TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp
From: <ad9t_tentec@burnshome.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:49:58 -0500
I will be purchasing a new HF transceiver for a Boy Scout Camp soon. We have
the money for the radio. Now I am just waiting for the new Ham Shack to be
finished.

A Ten-Tec Jupiter is currently the first choice. The primary reasons for
picking the Jupiter are ease of use, reliability, and service. The Ham Shack
will be located in a building with a high speed internet connection. At some
time it may be possible to make the station available for remote operation
over the internet.  This is probably a long time off, but I want our new
transceiver to be computer controllable so that this option stays open.

I have a few questions that I hope to have answered before ordering the
Jupiter.

Will a Kenwood MC-50 Microphone work well with the Jupiter?  We have two of
these, and they are very nice microphones. The MC050 is a dynamic
microphone, and can be wired for both low and high Z connections.

We have several old Kenwood External speakers. I assume using one with the
Jupiter is a bad idea because of the grounding peculiarity. I guess it is
best to sell the Kenwood speakers and get one that is not grounded.

Should we get the internal antenna tuner? My current plan for an antenna is
a large horizontal loop fed with open wire line. Future antenna
possibilities are almost unlimited on this large wooded Scout Camp. I have
no doubt that the internal tuner on the Jupiter will work well, but I am
wondering if one of the new external auto tuners will be a better choice.
Most of the current models include memory tuning and at least two antenna
ports. The increased versatility and functionality of the external units
would be nice, but I do not want to make the station difficult to operate.
Computer control of an external unit is also a potential problem.

We have a 20 A linear power supply. I know that some of the older Ten-Tec
rigs needed a special power supply or circuit breaker for SWR protection.
Will our power supply be OK?

Does anyone who has a Jupiter live near Kokomo IN? I have never used the
Jupiter and would like to try it out myself.

Does anyone think I should chouse another radio?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Burns

AD9T