Re: [TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp
From: Mark Erbaugh <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:02:38 -0500
On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 22:49, ad9t_tentec@burnshome.org wrote:

> Will a Kenwood MC-50 Microphone work well with the Jupiter?  We have two of
> these, and they are very nice microphones. The MC050 is a dynamic
> microphone, and can be wired for both low and high Z connections.

It's certainly worth trying.  As long as you wire the mic plug properly
(i.e. don't ground out the +8v), it will either work or not.  If it
doesn't it won't hurt the Jupiter.  Try to solicit on the air audio
reports. The monitor function in the Jupiter isn't a good indication of
how things sound.

> We have several old Kenwood External speakers. I assume using one with the
> Jupiter is a bad idea because of the grounding peculiarity. I guess it is
> best to sell the Kenwood speakers and get one that is not grounded.

Check out http://kd4dcy.net/jupiter

That web page has several mods for the Jupiter. One of them 'speaker
isolation mod' addresses your issue.  Although I originally proposed the
use of the now discontined line transformers, Kevin's mod with the two
smaller transformers could probably be built into the Kenwood speaker.

If you want to use a different external speaker, look into the Sounds
Sweet model.  It's large, which would be helpful in a group setting,
ungrounded and the frequency response is designed for HF (as opposed to
HiFi). It would work well for short wave (and AM) broadcast listening
with the Jupiter, which the Jupiter does well, also.  See:

http://www.soundssweet.com/

> Should we get the internal antenna tuner?

Yes, the external tuners have more features, but the internal tuner is
adequate and I think the simplicity of setup of the internal tuner
outweighs the extra features.

> We have a 20 A linear power supply. I know that some of the older Ten-Tec
> rigs needed a special power supply or circuit breaker for SWR protection.
> Will our power supply be OK?

Yes, it's a good idea to use some sort of current limiting. The Pegasus
(and I presume Jupiter) do not have overcurrent protection built in as
do some of the other rigs.  TenTec used to re-sell a magnetic circuit
breaker for protection when the radios were used with non TT power
supplies. The breaker is from AirPax, but I don't have the model number
handy - you might want to search the reflector archives.  It should be
available from Poco Sales (also search the archives).

Good luck with your project,

Mark