Re: [TenTec] OmniVI+ question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI+ question
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:32:15 +0200 (IST)
Chuck (Jack) Hawley wrote:

> The Omni 6 manual had an interconnection diagram. I have one and asked TT
> (on the phone) for one on the Omni 6+ and was told that there wasn't one. I
> asked about one for the Omni 6 just for grins and was told that there never
> was one for the 6 either. Interesting eh?

This leads me to a question. I am in the process of getting back on the
air after almost 8 years off. I brought with me to Israel a Kenwood
TS-430 and an Argo 509. I never got much in the way of signals and gave
up.

Over the years I found that both had suffered from contact dirt on the
T/R relays. The TS-430 required an extensive fix, the argo was easy to
fix (just transmit a little). The argo was unusal as the 505 had a T/R
relay, but the 509 manual had pin diodes instead. I must have an early
509, or a repair was made. :-)

I'm now looking at building up a station and getting a newer rig to
replace the TS-430 and argo.  I previously had a Triton 4 digital (544)
and enjoyed it but sold it when I left the states.

At this point I have about 6 months of planing before I buy another
transciever. It's not so easy as I have to get a permit to import it,
pay about $100 shipping and 17% tax on it. So I'm not in a rush, but
I have to get this right the first time.

I've been looking at the Corsair II as it was the last TT rig with a PTO,
and I like the find "twiddly" effect of one. I never quit feel tuned in
with a synthsiser rig, although many I have had in both receivers and
transcivers tuned to 10 Hz.

I mostly operate SSB with the rare CW contact. When I was at my best, I
could head copy 30-35 wpm, but can't write past about 10wpm, or send
faster than that without my wrist "going". I've never been able
to "get the hang" of bugs, iambic keyers, etc.

I sit in front of a computer screen all day, so digital or pseudo digital
(keyboard cw) modes are not attractive to me all.

If you are still reading this, I guess what I am looking for is  a good
comparison of the various models, sort of the definative TT book. Is there
one? Is it possible to get copies (on paper or pdf) of the manuals, or
at least the introduction and operating parts without buying them at $20
each? (assuming TT still has them for sale).

I know about the "fan" websites, but they don't go deep enough for me,
I appreciate them and thank the authors, if you are reading this.

Thanks for your advice and comments,

73 Geoff (4X1GM/N3OWJ)

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm@mendelson.com gsm@gwandt.com