[TenTec] Questions about Jupiter

To: "Tentec@Contesting. Com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Questions about Jupiter
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:58:30 -0800
Hey Guys,

I added a Jupiter to my Ten-Tec collection.

FIRST QUESTION:

I'm trying to interface it to my linear.
Well, actually it's working, but I want to "tune" the interface.
Let me say that the Amp is a non-Ten-Tec amp, so no QSK loop.

The Jupiter has two adjustments:
1. CW QSK DELAY
2. EXT TR DELAY

I've played with both and can't seem to see any difference.
Normally I would expect one to controll the delay the Jupiter
allows the linear's TR relay to switch before transmitting the
first dit, and the other to be the hang time before it releases
the external TR relay to return to RX mode.

Regardless of where I set either of them, the Henry SS750HF
linear seems to transmit OK, including the first dit.  I have no
means to measure, but on an external RX, I can't notice any
significant clipping of the first character.

I've adjusted both controls up and down and they seem to do the
same thing - affect the hang time.
I have no way of measuring the delay time when activating the
relay.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between these
two?

SECOND QUESTION:

What does the "TX ROLL OFF" do?
I didn't seem to find it in the manual.

THIRD QUESTION:

I feel a bit ashamed asking this one.
This has been discussed many times, but since it wasn't accute, I
paid little attention.

What is a good external loudspeaker to use with the Jupiter.
This rig is my SSB rag chew rig, not my CW contest rig, so
fidelity is important.

FOURTH QUESTION:

Has anyone had any experience using external mic-mixers to
improve TX audio fidelity?
If so, what have you used?  I'd like to get into that.

As for my evaluation of the unit, well I would say I prefer the
Jupiter for Monday through Friday use, and the Orion on weekends
when the bands are overcrowded!  Clearly the Jupiter is a LOT
easier to use and I'm lazy.

Thanks for any tips.

73
Rick