Re: [TenTec] IP3 controversy

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IP3 controversy
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:28:15 -0500
Rick,

I think you did answer the question correctly when you said:

"Altogether, this is what has led me to the point that I take all measured
numbers with a grain of salt and prefer to try all the rigs, comparing them
to several other rigs that I know well - under all kinds of adverse
conditions. Then I have a feeling about the performance of the rig."

That sum's it up much better than relying on test data from really unknown sources. The spec's help sell radios, but it's actually trying the radios under conditions as you describe that really tell you how well a receiver is designed and how well it's going to operate under your own operating conditions.

Great IP specs don't necessiarily make a great radio, it's a combination of the design goals and implementation of that complete receiver design that makes a great radio receiver.

Tom - W4BQF

Todd,

It's simple. You need good IP3 figures to enable a good dynamic range
figure, but they have to be the result of excellent design and
implementation. In order to assure that this is the case, it's better to
look at both numbers.

It is correct that the IP3 can be improved by placing an attenuator in the
front end. It's normally linear. If you attenuate the front end by 10 dB,
the IP3 goes up by 10 dB.

The interesting question to be asked is "how much IP3 or dynamic range do we
need?"

As far as I know, nobody has ever answered this, except to say "as much as
you can get." Just as good of an answer would be "it depends."

The problem becomes a diminishing return on your investment. At some point,
trying to get another 3 to 6 dB can cost more money than the rest of the
front end.

And that is all just part of the answer.

The IP3 will also depend on how it is measured.
If you want to compare numbers on two different rigs, you have to assure
both numbers were measured exactly the same way.

Altogether, this is what has led me to the point that I take all measured
numbers with a grain of salt and prefer to try all the rigs, comparing them
to several other rigs that I know well - under all kinds of adverse
conditions. Then I have a feeling about the performance of the rig.

Being a member of one of Europe's largest contest clubs, I get the
opportunity to eventually try everything that comes on the market with
excellent antennas at sites which are remote as well as located in an
industrial city.

I know this wasn't a short, specific answer to your question but I don't
think there is such an answer.

73
Rick