[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB
From: "Jeff Frank" <jafrank@nyc.rr.com>
Reply-to: tentec@contesting.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:44:08 -0500
List-post: <mailto:tentec@contesting.com>
Thanks to all you guys who responded to my query about the best mic setup
for the Omni 6 --- one more thing --- the Tentec mic is amplified (because
it uses a battery) --- does that mean I should try and use  some kind of
amplification ahead of the radio if I want to try a Heil element or a D104
or a Shure 444? (I have all three mics). By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to

Jeff (KX2P)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:27:11 -0500, Jeff Frank wrote:
> >ll you guys who report about the great audio reports you receive on ssb
> >with the Omni 6 series please tell me what microphones or microphone
> hook
> >ups you are using.
> Ah -- you bring up a very interesting defect in the design of the Ten Tec
> You can't use a "flat" mic with them, you need to use one that has a
> high end. That's what the Heil mics do. A good mic sounds really dull and
> bassy on a Ten Tec radio.
> I use an RE-27, which is a pretty flat mic (and a damn good one) with
> But to make it sound good, I had to stick a rather small cap in series
with it
> to drastically roll off the low end (-3 dB at roughly 2 kHz). It is absurd
that it
> should be necessary to do that, but it is. This is a "band-aid," but it
works. I
> even have an audio file that NY9H recorded off the air several months ago
> on 20 meters from Chicago, when I was operating this rig at W6BX, a 2,000
> mile path. It's this mic, the cap, and the Omni V. I could email the file
> anyone cares.
> The Shure 444 and mics like it have the hyped high end that sounds pretty
> good with the Omni family of radios. I bought one for that reason. BTW --
> there's no good reason to spend money on a Heil mic to get that sound -- a
> used 444, $30 on EBay, will sound at least as good as a Heil. For that
> matter, I bought three Plantronics earsets for $5 each at a hamfest last
> They get MUCH better reports on my 746 than a Heil does on my K2.  You
> can buy the Plantronics earsets (earphone plus mic) for $25 - $40 brand
> new at computer stores.
> Now, you say, why in the world would you use an RE-27 on a ham rig?
> Simple. I'm in the pro audio biz and own a lot of very good mics, but very
> dynamic mics. Also, most dynamic mics have proximity effect, which boosts
> the low end (makes them muddy) when you close-talk them).  I didn't have a
> dedicated ham mic, needed one to use with the Omni V I had just bought,
> and the RE-27 came the closest to what should work well. It is a dynamic
> only have three types) it  has no proximity effect because it is a
> cardioid, and it has a lot of output.  Isn't it serious overkill?  If I
had to buy it,
> yes. But if I have several laying around, no.
> Jim Brown  K9YC
> _______________________________________________
> TenTec mailing list
> TenTec@contesting.com
> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/tentec

TenTec mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>