[Orion] Re:[TenTec] Firmware upgrade and Keyer timing--Solved

Subject: [Orion] Re:[TenTec] Firmware upgrade and Keyer timing--Solved
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:01:13 -0800
Ok, got the answer to the keyer timing issue. Been talking to Paul at Ten Tec this morning. He called me back after conferring with their software folks. If you turn the Orion off, it will start again in the opposite mode of what was selected when you turned it off. So, if you've chosen Mode B and turn on and off, it will still show Mode B but it is in Mode A. So, if you're a Mode B guy like me, always leave it in Mode A. They're working on a fix.

I foolishly thought that I'd perhaps done something wrong yesterday in flashing to 1.372 and that started a comedy of errors this morning. I tried flashing it three times before I finally, at Paul's advice, deleted my files, made sure AVG anti virus was disabled, and downloaded the update again. Then turned off Orion of course and the laptop and even unplugged my serial cable since previous attempts stalled at about line 3000 with Serial port error. Then tried again with the Error checking box checked. It proceeded much much faster and all is well. Now I'm hesitant to do anything including a Master reset unless I've problems down the road. Been a Mac guy for 15 years and using Windows still seems a mystery.

Hope this helps anyone with the Keyer timing problem.

Gary W7TEA