[TenTec] Orion and the 706 Electret Mike...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion and the 706 Electret Mike...
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:21:22 +0100
Hello,

I have a question about the Orion and it's companion microphone, the #706.

1. Sometimes (I say sometimes, not everytime !), when the mic PTT switch is
engaged I have a strange behaviour with the mic and the Orion... It seems
that it's an HF feedback problem (but IMO, it is not !) into the microphone
causing the s-meter needle to go up full scale, the alc LED is then always
on (not flashing) and I can hear thru the speaker of the Orion a big
"Brrrrrrrrrrrr", the Orion is buzzing like an old fridge until I switch off
the PTT. Of course during that time, the OM on the other side of the antenna
could hear that "buzzzzz" in the modulation ! :-)

2. Sometimes, when I have to switch off the PTT on the mike, it seems
difficult to cut it off... I have to push several times on the PTT to get
off the air ! My correspondant is then starting to respond me and I can't
hear him as I'm still in transmit mode !

What could be interesting to analyse this is that...

3. I NEVER had this strange thing when I'm in the same working conditions
just using the VOX function on the 706 and Orion !

With the VOX it's okay, with the PTT switch it is not ! I think it's 2
different circuitry inside the mic, but I'm not sure.

I think I'll replace the PTT switch with a small 2 positions switch
(on/off). There's plenty of room into the base of the mike to do the mod.

Any advices please ?

Many thanks to all.

Eric, ON6CV.