RE: [TenTec] New Orion Update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] New Orion Update
From: "Robert Carroll" <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:01:07 -0500
I'm willing to bet a little that this is what I experienced.  I heard VE1ZZ
with no tone and had to crank in attenuation to get a little back.  The
receiver sounded as though it was blocking--and it was--because, even though
the AGC was set to one of its modes, it was actually OFF.  Tapping the right
mode again cured the problem.  This happened 3 times during the contest.
Not a big deal compared to the previous firmware version.  At one time I
heard the AGC quite while  I was doing nothing except passive listening.  I
would be interested in others who have experienced this.

By the way, the RF gain control change is really great.  Before the update
my RF gain control did very little to change the copy.

Bob W2WG